Wednesday, May 11, 2011

To Really Stop and Smell the Roses...

The air conditioner is broken at work.  Needless to say, I LOVED my crisp, cool veggies today!  But, I have to admit, it is hard to be around all the sweet stuff.  I can give up salty foods no problem, but I do love some solid sweets. 

So, tonight I went on a long walk.  I downloaded a free podcast from Jillian Michaels, and I just walked and listened.  Then, I just walked.  Here's what I DIDN'T do: think about food.  I don't know if you can relate, but it seems I spend EVERY WAKING MINUTE thinking about food...when can I have it next?  what am I going to eat? how much should I hate myself afterword? and on, and on, and on.  Tonight, as I was walking, I realized that I don't do that as much anymore.  Sure, as stated above, I miss sugar, but I'm not thinking about it all the time.  Tonight, I also literally stopped to smell the roses, and the lilacs, and some other flower that I cannot begin to name...there was this small area in the middle of town that was almost like a glade: cool, slight breeze, and fragrant.  It was fantastic and very peaceful.

So here's the conclusion I've come to: This new lifestyle isn't just a part of my future, it's part of my present.  I need to find the peace in who I am today, at this weight, rather than just trying to barrel through to tomorrow's.  I don't think I can succeed if that's all I'm doing. 

Okay, I need to eat some supper...I think some light tuna mixed with diced peppers, pepper, and pickles is on the agenda!

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes, very well said. I am not a sugar person, but more so a salt, carb and over eater person. I too am feeling better about my eating and who I am. I also really look forward to some healthier lifestyles that I see other are doing. I want to embrace that feeling of being healthier and feel good about myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds as though you have a great attitude about everything! I really need to get to that part. I do think about food every waking second, unless I'm engrossed in work - and as soon as that is through, I'm thinking about food again. How was the Jillian Michaels podcast?

    ReplyDelete